The developers of #battalion1944 released last night the details for their Major Update that will be released on March 8th.
This announcement contains loads of detailed improvements as well as statements from from the devs about the future of Battalion 1944!
Read below what they had to say about the upcoming update:
“We’re pleased to say that Early Access has been a great decision for Battalion 1944! This major update contains huge changes to Battalion entirely based off of player feedback. The type of feedback you can only get by taking advantage of Early Access. We’d like to thank each and every one of you for spending time giving us the critical feedback AND testing that Battalion very clearly needed.”
“For helping us test, improve, and fix Battalion 1944 through its first month of Early Access, we’d like to reward all of the players who purchased the game in its first month, 5 War Chests, that will be available in your inventory from March 8th.”
“We have been constantly working on fixing and improving core Battalion features. We have been releasing almost weekly updates to continually improve upon our product to make it the best experience possible for you guys. Today we are able to give you guys our first huge content update – with more news updates coming in the near future.”
“This update contains new maps, reworks of existing maps, weapon balancing, A LOT of crash fixes, performance improvements, major network fixes, sound improvements, match making changes, XP increases and gamemode changes and teasers!”
Wartide Retired – Temporary Changes
“We’ve heard your feedback on the Wartide gamemode – we fully understand the mode’s potential and what must be done to reinvent the gamemode, as we’ve hinted at before. We will be returning this summer with Wartide 2 which uses ‘a form of currency’. In the meantime we’ve temporarily changed how Wartide works whilst we remaster the mode.
Our goals and reasoning for the temporary change is to try and balance the weapons perfectly by giving players the ability to pick almost whatever they want
“The largest issue with the gamemode was that making a comeback was extremely difficult, even with the power of the default class in the right hands.”
As a temporary measure, we’re making all weapon classes (bar the most powerful SMG & Sniper classes) unlimited. This is to keep the losing side in the game & allow more player choice. As a side benefit – unlimiting weapon classes also helps us study every classes perceived value to players – which will help us decide on classes worth within the future revamped Wartide gamemode.”
“The grenade pool has also been removed in favour of grenades being tied to classes.”
Temporary Weapon Class & Nade Breakdown:
- Rifleman – 1 Smoke, 0 Grenade, Unlimited.
- Pathfinder – 0 Smoke, 0 Grenade, 3 cards per team.
- Heavy – 0 Smokes, 1 Grenade, Unlimited.
- Marksman – 0 Smokes, 0 Grenade, 3 cards per team.
- Operator – 1 smoke, 0 Grenade, Unlimited
- Utility (Default) – 1 Smoke, 1 Grenade, Unlimited
Please remember that these changes are only temporary whilst we completely overhaul the actual wartide gamemode over the next coming months.”
NEW MAP – Invasion (Used for both Competitive & Arcade)
“This new map is, you guessed it, located on a Normandy beach and it will consist of the Allies attacking the Axis through their defensive bunkers and buildings to achieve victory! This map contains a balance of long routes which will be great for sniper duels intertwined with smaller spaces that promote close quarters combat. You’ll have to manage your utility usage as a team as well as manage your full arsenal to exploit the advantages and weaknesses of both bomb sites.
“As with all maps during Early Access – this is Invasion’s first iteration ready for testing. We’re not afraid to change maps based on your feedback at all and we have been looking at all posts and opinions regarding changes.”
“This leads us onto the next huge content changes within this update:”
- New & improved lighting.
- Opened the broken barn & windows inside of Bombsite B.
- New & improved lighting.
- New “A long” area to allow for more tactical nades.
- Opened barn door by A site which looks into A long.
- Shortened axis main road into an L shape that leads to mid.
- Closed route by crashed plane.
- Reworked main entrance to A from mid.
- Closed mid connector barn.
- Re-opened mid trench by adding a new ‘drop’ into the trench.
- Widened mid trench & added cover.
- Added new skill jump out of mid trench into mid.
- Reworked B long.
- Closed the broken wall angle from trench/wooden to B long.
- Opened & reworked the apple gardens area behind B house.
- Moved fountain into apple gardens.
- Reworked B bombsite layout to be less claustrophobic.
“Battery has received a lot of TLC this update as the most unloved map from both a player and developer standpoint. This map was never aimed to be a competitive map – hence the lack of love given to it compared to some of our other maps. But this is something we’ve begun to act on internally, starting with improving casual maps. More to come on our casual progress in future updates.
“Battery’s upgrades have improved player movement and added other possibilities within the map. This has been achieved by removing a lot of the annoying “Invisible Walls” that players would often feel when playing on it. With these new changes hopefully the sections of the map that are still untraversable will be better telegraphed to the player. This should feel much more liberating and give players much more freedom to be creative during firefights.”
“General gameplay improvements have also been made to the map adding a sense of verticality in places, with more objects and interesting areas to play around. We’ve also opened up new routes and made new and improved sites for TDM/CTF/DOM and of course Wartide if that’s what you want to play!”
Updated Mini Maps:
“Remember the CS:GO simple radar inspired minimaps from Battalion’s Alpha?
“We have made those even better. These mini maps take a long time to develop – and as our map layouts have become a little more concrete, we’ve been confident to be able to remaster the mini-maps for you guys. These will make key areas highly visible and remove the clutter from the maps to allow you to figure out player positions and map layouts easier.”
Thompson & MP40 Changes:
- Maximum bullets to kill at furthest range reduced from 11 to 10.
- 2 shot kill range is now significantly shorter.
XP/Reward Amount Changes
“We’ve changed the way XP is rewarded so that you’ll be rewarded more for playing the game adding the ability to level up faster and gain free War Chests more regularly. Players will now reach level 10 (competitive minimum rank) much quicker! In some cases players will now earn 4 times the original amount of XP.”
The new XP reward amounts are as follows:
GameWinScore = 1500xp
GameDrawScore = 900xp
GameLossScore = 500xp
GameWinScore = 1200xp
GameDrawScore = 700xp
GameLossScore = 450xp
GameWinScore = 600xp
GameDrawScore = 350xp
GameLossScore = 200xp
GameWinScore = 600xp
GameDrawScore = 350xp
GameLossScore = 200xp
GameWinScore = 600xp
GameDrawScore = 350xp
GameLossScore = 200xp
Check out Battle(non)Sense’s video on Battalion 1944’s Netcode:
“Whilst his review of our netcode is positive – we’ve taken steps towards improving on his feedback and this is the first step towards improving Battalion 1944’s netcode even further.”
- Improved interpolation netcode to reduce the effect of peekers advantage of high ping players.
- Network alteration to movement replication.
- Added hidden functionality for client UI network icons (icons coming soon).
- Added SEA servers.
- Merged NA servers into one location (Chicago – Temporary during Early Access).
- Removed South American servers due to low player counts.
- Removed hidden ELO score from unranked/arcade games.
- Competitive Matchmaking will find other players faster in populated regions.
“We’re fully aware that matchmaking is not in an ideal state right now – we have plans to improve all players’ experience both during Early Access and for full release. We have some huge information to share in our next big news update about a partnership deal that will be great for Battalion 1944’s future. Thanks for sticking with us as we move through this temporary period. Many of you may have seen us alluding to working with ‘Faceit’. We’d like to inform you that it is much more than that!”
- Smoke grenades now have the same particle effect trail as grenades in spectator.
- Spectators will now always hear round win music at the end of a round.
- Spectator player colours on the minimap now follow xray / status bar colours (blue/red).
- Spectators should now see +5 +10 kill rewards when spectating players.
- When using autocam – we’ve inflated a player action score if they are the last person left on their team. It’s most likely that this person is the most exciting player to watch for clutches with the odds stacked against them.
- Small fix for spectators in dedicated comp games seeing everyone on the minimap as their unique colours instead of nation colours.
- Weapon animations are more synced with spectator. Specifically weapon reloads & grenades.
- Fix for spectator auto camera causing FOV iron sight issues.
- Auto camera now plays death cam on dying spectated players instead of instantly switching to the killer.
- Added AFK/Idle auto-kick.
- Added profanity filter.
- Added Manorhouse V1 loading screen.
- Added player setting to adjust minimap zoom level.
- Improved VOIP stability.
- Added brightness/gamma settings.
- Fixed some code inconsistencies which would cause certain clients to crash.
- Fixed div0 error causing 3D weapons to not show on the inventory screen.
- If a warchest fails to open – error message has changed from “Please contact support.” to “The War Chest has not been taken. Please try again.” when failing to grant a skin.
- Fixed spectator memory leak causing client to crash (sorry Blitzkrieg!)
- Fixed the social voting menu always disappearing after death/between rounds.
- Fixed up certain redirectors and removed corrupted assets (in preparation for modding).
- Fixed a possible crash on bomb defusal.
- Fixed bomb defuse/plant getting locked out if a player moves outside of the bombsite bounds while attempting either action.
- Fixed the ability to view a players steam profile from the social menu.
- Fixed minimap markers being upside down when the setting ‘Fixed Map Rotation’ is enabled.
- Fixed second bomb spawning when planting or defusing in bomb mode.
- Fix for killfeed incorrectly making players other than yourself white.
- Potential fix to third person automatic weapons occasionally not making sound.
- VOIP – No longer receive UI notifications from players who are muted.
- Training is now disabled if you are in a party (this caused matchmaking issues).
- Only enabled texture streaming off by default if VRAM > 3GB.
- Fixed surrender votes occasionally failing after round 12.
“Note: If you’re continuing to experience hard crashes please post a bug report in the
Bug Reporting section of our official forums detailing exactly what happened alongside your PC specs and as much potentially useful information as possible. If you work with us and provide us with as much detail as you possibly can to help us figure out the root cause of the issues then we can better tackle and solve these problems in future updates.”
Quick Note On Playerbase, Marketing & Battalion 1944 Plans
“You may have noticed we’ve dramatically slowed down on marketing and pushing the game to streamers, new sites and new players (quick example: opting out of Square Enix’s latest publisher weekend promotion). This is our decision. Your feedback has been amazing in helping us identify the core issues with the game – which was the exact reason for us entering Steam Early Access.
“Keeping a core small & hardcore playerbase who keep dropping in/out during early access to help us test and give feedback on the game has always been the plan for early access, with much bigger explosion at full release. However, the launch hype train and a drastically larger early access launch than expected clouded most players view of our actual intentions of growing a small community from the ground up as we develop the game together.”
“We will have a much larger written update coming soon regarding this entire concurrent player base ‘issue’ that players outside of the core Battalion community have become increasingly obsessed over. This coming update will fully detail our plans for this year, how we intend to improve the short term experience for all players trying to find other players as well as long term plans to grow as we head towards a huge content and media explosion at full release next year.”
“This should help alleviate the concerns for our hardcore fans who are worried about the brain dead ‘dead game’ comments from uniformed players who can’t see more than 1 week into the future. We’ve landed some huge partnerships, big content plans and exciting developments ready for full release next year”.
“Offline LAN support has been delayed as we need more time to work on this feature. We’ve been committing our time to other places, as you can see! Sorry!”
“On March 7th Insomnia & The Plays will be announcing a hardware sponsor for The Blitzkrieg Open Championship specifically for EU teams travelling to the UK. This service will be free and specifically for teams travelling from outside the UK. Whilst it’s late, we saw an opportunity to help a partner and our players. The Blitzkrieg Open Championship is enabling the developers, tournament organizers, and future sponsors to see Battalion 1944 in a competitive offline environment. To avoid any major issues when a significant prize pool is on the line this summer, it is an important milestone for us. We ask for your support.”
“Information for team applications:
In order to apply for free PC’s for your team, first make sure you meet the following requirements:”
- Confirmed full EU teams representing organisations only
- You are competing in the Blitzkrieg Open at Insomnia62.
They must also sign up to the tournament (link found on this page: http://ukmasters.gg/insomnia62/
Processor: Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores, 3.6 – 4.3GHz
CPU Cooler: Chillblast 120 CPU Water Cooler
Motherboard: Z370 Gaming Motherboard
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Graphics Card
Memory: 16GB DDR4 Memory
Solid State Drive: 250GB Solid State Drive
Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM Hard Disk
Monitor: Asus 24” VG248QE Monitor
“The sponsor will not provide the peripherals (mouse, keyboard, headset)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for your team and we will chat with you directly.
Last date for applications will be Thursday 15th March and you will be informed if you are successful within 24 hours of application.”
“Tomorrow night at around 7pm UK time Brammertron will be live on Twitch playing Battalion with KingHoward, Big Tuna and other Bulkhead developers as well as talking directly to you guys by doing a live Q&A. This gives you guys a chance to talk directly and openly with our studio lead about the March 8th update and Battalion’s future. Brammer will also be dropping Warchests whilst on stream!”
We hope this update provides some useful additions as well as some helpful tweaks and bug fixes. We want to thank you for buying into Battalion 1944’s Early Access testing period, we appreciate all your feedback and patience. Please remember Battalion 1944 has been in Early Access for just over 1 month. We are with you guys for the long term and we are working hard to get the game prepared for when we aim to explode out of Early Access into full release and bring new players into the game.
Remember: This client update will launch on the 8th March, 2018.